Monday, November 2, 2009

Thanks Father McKeating

The semester has ended and it still is very unexpected for me.We've missed a lot of classes due to the recent calamity that hit Manila and the neighboring provinces.Despite the uncertainties of life, I still find great joy for the opportunity of being in this course.Since day one of my meeting with the charming professor, my quest for knowledge and wisdom about what grace is really all about was so overwhelming.I must admit though that the first session was quite a blur to me.I needed a lot of unlearning to do so as to let new insights enter into my system.Lectures concerning grace, the evolution, human anatomy and what have you were indeed very comprehensive and worth reflecting for.There were painful truths too that hit me right there and then just like my notions of grace.I had a very naive understanding of this "sacrament" that when Father started to unfold what grace is actually all about,i had to really question myself as to where did i get such ideas..Anyway, my limited view about theology and even other human sciences was broadened with my enrolling in this course.It is just fitting that I should give credit to whom it is due.My professor deserves two thumbs up for being so cool and passionate in his teachings.I never even saw him showed any inch of burden in discussing the very delicate lessons.Because of him, I learn to accept my own limitations and started to be a better individual and a Christian of course.
If there were specific lessons that marked a special spot in my heart it would be Father McKeating's lecture on Ecology and Evolving Creation.I would like to stress though that every single discussion that he had imparted unto us were always significant.It is, however the above mentioned topic that made a great impact to my whole being.Because of the devastating effect of the recent storm Ondoy, I have come to rethink for the _nth time my role as a steward of God's creation.I was there when the water started to rise in almost all of the streets of Cubao and its neighboring areas.I saw with my naked eyes how people screamed while trying to save themselves from the raging current that snapped almost the entire surrounding at once.I did not only see this...I was one of those who literally had to swim just to find a place where I could hold on to breathe.I was with these people who were only trying to go to their respective destinations.I was just trying to go to school and be part of my Theology class but that calamity brought me somewhere else.I was stranded for almost 16 hours not anymore knowing where I would be the next day.I saw how dark the place was.I heard the silent prayers of my fellow bystanders.I saw how Ondoy wrecked the houses and the properties.I was there.It wasnt panicked that I felt actually but rage.Just few steps from where I stood rose the newly constructed condominium units that caused the water in that area to rise more than 12 feet.I was angry at the thought of how money could lead one to forget the popular need of the people that is SAFETY just for him to acquire that material security.I considered it that time selfishness.Right in the middle of the flood, I could only think of ways as to how I can help ease the situation of the people stranded without food and water.More than that, I was still angry.Perhaps my rage was also because of my being so tired of braving the storm but at that very moment too i remembered what we have discussed in our Creation and Grace class.
It was very clear to me that our professor was reminding us once more of the depletion of our ozone layer, the denuding of our forests, of global warming and the constant destruction of our ecosytem.With the advancement on science and technology, we basically exercise almost all the control over nature.This is called the instrumental cause.Because of our inordinate desire for power and domination, we tend to neglect the very essence of living and our moral obligation to really take care of mother nature.Our decisions most often than not are geared not really towards ecological balance but towards disharmony.I am not exempted from this error.Another cause for this crisis, is an ideological one which motivates or gives legitimacy to the desire to become masters over nature which then has led to the abuse and destruction of our natural resources.
It took me two days before I finally saw my own home.I was crying because of fatigue and depression after seing the entire scenario.It was so hearbreaking.More than that, I also felt sad that I had not done much to help.Until now, I am full of disappointment and even guilt.I am always part of the blame.Every single misery that ONDOY and even PEPING had inflicted on the humanity is for me a painful reminder of how we made nature bled so much.Being a member of GREEN PEACE I am more determined to make a stand about issues that gravely concern this world.I want so much to live in a world where there are still a lot of trees all around us.I want that my children and their children will enjoy what they deserve to have....A HEALTHY WORLD.
I am so grateful for the whole semester with you Father.Your passion has always inspired me to be a better Christian.I have learned so much from you.MY heart and my mind until now are still on the process of recovering after seing for the first time the terrible effect of the recent calamity.I am assuring you though that I would continue to be better in my being a Christian specially in my quest to help make this world more safe and liveable.
More power Father and keep on touching lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment