Sunday, September 25, 2011

On conversion-----Daily Examen 6


The Parable of the Two Sons
    28 “What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’    29 “‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.
   30 “Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.
   31 “Which of the two did what his father wanted?”
   “The first,” they answered.
   Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. 32 For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

Matthew 21:28-32

New International Version (NIV)

      Most of the time I am caught between goodbye and i love you, between yes and no, between forgiving and hating...and my list continues.Life for me is a matter of saying yes and no. Options are laid before me each time.Some options seem less sensible than the others.Some promise to yield good results. Some choices could also break or make me. How do i know that I am making the right choices?the right decisions? How do i know that I am doing what my Father tells me? These are hard questions that actually confront me most of my days. The gospel today is a clear reminder for me to check my response to life's demands of /from me.
   The parable of the two sons is a classic example of saying something and doing the other thing. At a first glance one would mistake the second son to be an obedient dude.While the other one would be labeled a rascal. What happens in the end is the total shift of attitude. The first son eventually emerge the obedient one while the other not. 
  What the first son displays is a total conversion. This act reflects the son's realization of doing what his father wants because it's the best option there is. I know that if the story had been lengthened, it would show that the son's change of heart doesn't happen overnight. I would guess he would have sleepless nights thinking of whether or nor he should do what the old man wishes. I guess too that he has a lot of doubts regarding his first and second responses. When he finally did the will of his father, i bet his heart found bliss.
  Doing the will of the Father is no piece of cake. It means giving up one's own priorities. It takes a lot of sacrifices to do good.It is always tempting to stay cool and laid back and pretend everything in this world is made of gold.It's easier to sit idle and not react to the world's needs but i believe we are not only made to enjoy life's grandeur. There are great responsibilites in store for us.Whatever response we give out is a manifestation of the kind of hearts we are made of.
  I am a stubborn ram at times. I know I have been a disobedient child but today's gospel allows me to check where I am at the moment. I am definitely sure I am still on the process of conversion. I desire sanctity of spirit though. I have failed so many times but there is no giving up. My God is patient to wait for me to be whole.I am getting there. He is my refiner's fire and I know He is not tired of me.
  Conversion is an endless process. The priest said that words are cheap. What we need are great deeds to sanctify the world. Simply said, action indeed speaks louder than words.

Namaste!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment