Friday, May 6, 2011

The Road NOT Taken

from google images


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,



And sorry I could not travel both


And be one traveller, long I stood


And looked down one as far as I could


To where it bent in the undergrowth;






Then took the other, as just as fair,


And having perhaps the better claim,


Because it was grassy and wanted wear;


Though as for that the passing there


Had worn them really about the same,






And both that morning equally lay



In leaves no step had trodden black.


Oh, I kept the first for another day!


Yet knowing how way leads on to way,


I doubted if I should ever come back.






I shall be telling this with a sigh


Somewhere ages and ages hence:


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--


I took the one less traveled by,


And that has made all the difference



...Robert Frost
 
Making a difference is never an easy task to do specially when you know that the society where you live in has so much expectations of you.It is as if they already made a great plan of what would happen to your life at a certain point.I must admit I did have come to that moment when I was about to give in to what other people are expecting from me.It was by the sheer grace that I was able to decide that I am always a different person...so different that I havent  ever wanted to be put in a box.I want my own niche in this world.I am my own life.
 
Just like the speaker who was caught between two diverging roads, I too have been into a lot of crossroads in my life.Choosing between staying single and getting married, doing theology or getting a postgraduate English degree, working abroad or staying in the Philippines for good, being with these friends or staying away from them, doing yoga or swimming....these are just some options that are equally good ones.At the end of the day though, I have to only pick one from each set of priorities. Most of the times though, my options prove to be the radical ones.I havent regretted them.
 
In this world, it is not always cool to be going with the flow of things.The choices that we make reveal the kind of persons that we are.Each option is a manifestation of the kind of values we have in life.Living the alternative life for me is what makes me a better person.It is by making a different route that I distinguish myself from the rest.
 
The road that Im taking now is not an extraordinary one.However, it is this path that makes all the difference.It is in this choice that I become what I feel the universe has wanted me to be.It is in here that I have found bliss...moreso...peace.